If you’ve been on the hunt for your perfect ring for a while now, there’s every chance you’ve come across the princess cut before. It’s a cult classic similar to the round brilliant cut, however it’s clean lines, modern shape and brilliant shine sets itself above the rest.
- The princess stone has an iconic square/rectangular top (crown).
- In the 21st century, the princess cut is also known as the square modified brilliant.
- This shape is the only mixed brilliant cuts that can retain up to 80% of the rough diamond.
A Brief History:
- This cut originally developed from an older style of cut called ‘the profile cut’ in 1961 by Arpad Nagy.
- As it’s popularity began to grow when a group of jewellers- Ygal Perlman, Betzalel Ambar, and Israel Itzkowitz took this initial “profile cut” design, and created the quadrillion cut in the early 1970’s.
- A few years later in 1979, the same group of designers was inspired during a time when the radiant cut was first created and the channel setting was most popular, eventually leading to what we call the ‘princess cut’.
- The group was also frustrated by the restraints of the popular diamond settings which were used at the time, so in turn, they created the invisible setting.
What makes the princess cut so special is the fact that it keeps more of the original rough diamond, than any other style. Because of its little waste in the cutting stage, it’s sparkle and shine is like no other!
At Secrets, keeping this iconic square shape and double faceted brilliance is easy with our eco-friendly stones that have been grown in a laboratory and cut by our advanced technology to the same exacting standards as a perfectly cut diamond. Our stones are whiter, brighter and near flawless in colour, graded D-F on the GIA Scale.
Interested in wearing this diamond? These are our bestsellers in the ‘princess cut’